Thinking big and acting local: Manningham endorses Placemaking Framework
After months of restrictions, Manningham has emerged with a new Placemaking Framework.
Endorsed at Council Meeting on Tuesday 23 November, the framework outlines Manningham’s commitment to placemaking as a way of enhancing our urban villages and outdoor spaces.
Manningham Mayor Cr Michelle Kleinert said around the world, communities were seeking a deeper connection to place and to each other.
Cr Kleinert said the Framework will assist our community in recovery and building resilience in the aftermath of COVID-related socio-economic impacts.
“It will inspire people to re-imagine and reinvent spaces to become places at the heart of every community,” she said.
“In Manningham, “connection” is one of the strongest themes emerging from our community engagement for our Vision and Council Plan for the next four years,” she said.
The Framework outlines a set of high-level principles for the process of placemaking and has genuine community engagement and research at its core. It seeks to ensure community aspirations will drive desired outcomes.
The Framework features a number of short and long term strategies, including:
- acknowledging Country and understanding places through the eyes of our community
- making it easier for traders to do business outside
- supporting hospitality businesses to better use outdoor spaces for dining, in line with COVID safe practices
- activating urban villages through placemaking initiatives such as making art, entertainment, and community events
- encouraging growth and community participation in health and wellbeing practices and creativity in public spaces.
Manningham’s latest placemaking success is the revitalisation of the Ayr Street South shopping district in Doncaster. An official launch of the upgraded shopping strip is scheduled for Saturday 4 December between 11.00am and 1.00pm. For more information visit yoursay.manningham.vic.gov.au/ayr-street-south
Read all about the Manningham Placemaking Framework.
Consultation has concluded